Gas Safety Information

Why it is Important to Check that Gas Appliances are Safe to Use

gas safety checks

Most gas appliances need a chimney or flue to remove the fumes after burning the gas and fresh air. They make sure that the fumes from the gas appliance are not mixed with the fresh air you need to breath.

Gas appliances need air to burn safely. With enough air, gas appliances produce carbon dioxide and water in safe amounts, which are normally taken away by a chimney or flue. However, a gas appliance will produce carbon monoxide if there is too little air or the chimney or flue is blocked.
Carbon monoxide gas is highly poisonous both to people and animals. It is difficult to recognise because it has no colour, smell or taste.

Danger signs of gas appliances

Carbon Monoxide (CO) gas can kill if you are exposed to it in sufficient amounts. Carbon Monoxide can be formed whenever fuels such as natural gas, charcoal, gasoline, kerosene, oil, propane, or wood are burned without a sufficient supply of air for complete combustion.

The danger signs from a gas appliance are stains, soot or discolouring around the top of a gas fire or at the top of gas water heater or boiler. A conventional gas appliance should have a normal blue flame – not yellow or orange.

Carbon Monoxide:

  • Is Colourless
  • Is odorless and tasteless

Carbon Monoxide can be produced when:

  • Appliances are not properly installed, maintained, or used.
  • Flue pipes become plugged with debris.
  • Flue pipes have gaps, leaks, spaces or are rusted through.
  • Too many appliances are vented to one Flue pipe.

Gas Safety Tips:

  • If you use a gas space heater that is unvented, leave a nearby window open at least an inch to allow fresh air to enter the room.
  • Have your gas central heating unit checked before the heating season begins to make sure the heat exchanger is not cracked or rusted, and that the burner area is clean.
  • You can purchase a carbon monoxide detector. From us and carefully follow the manufacturer’s directions for operation, placement, and maintenance.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning can cause collapse or death.
The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to those caused by other illnesses, such as colds or flu. However, if you suffer from unexplained headaches, chest pains, muscular weakness, sickness, diarrhoea, stomach pains, sudden dizziness when standing up, or general lethargy after using a gas appliance, stop using it, go to your doctor., then ring Technical services.

If you are in a room with gas equipment that is operating and you experience: Headaches, dizziness, and nausea, Get some fresh air immediately and seek medical help.

If you suspect problems with your appliances, call your local gas appliance dealer or contact us.

Gas Leaks

Act immediately by contacting Transco (British Gas) Emergency Freephone number: 0800 111 999. They will make your home safe and advise you on what action to take.

Gas Safe install service